Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Run Of The Mill Tuesday Night

After darting out of the office around 4pm for yet another network party with one of my favorite coworkers, I just knew it was going to be a good night. After all, good nights start by getting out of the office early, right? Last night’s festivities were held at the Theatre at Madison Square Garden. There were men and women of all seniority levels, blue haired businessmen in double breasted suits to still wet behind the ear entry level post college grads. I think it’s that dynamic that makes these events so worth while. Well, that and the open bar!

After a small cocktail hour and an army of banquet servers carrying everything that is mini around asking every passer by if they’d like a ‘crab stuffed red pepper’ it was time for the presentation. Crowds of people started filing into the theatre, some with drinks, some with notepads, and 4 with crutches. (Seriously, 4 people with crutches, I thought I was at a ski lodge).

Unfortunately, I had to depart this event a little earlier than I would have like to. After all, tonight was double booked…That never happens. I had to get my butt downtown to see friends of mine at a charity event. As I made my way out of the theatre I noticed crowds, and I mean crowds of people everywhere. As it was just a few minutes before 7pm, the crowds were trying to get in as I was trying to get out. The exit of the theatre was located directly next to the entreance into the Arena at Madison Square Gardens. The New York Rangers were getting ready to drop the puck. So as I noticed I was already going to be few minutes late and there were a million foam fingers in my way I just put my head down and started to body check anyone who got in my way!

After frantically walking down 7th avenue I was excited to see my friends as I hadn’t seen a few of them in what seemed like, and probably had been months. It was still light out and just enough of a breeze to keep me from not sweating through my suit. I was told there would be a large number of single ladies at the event so dripping wet was not really the look I was going for tonight!

I found the place pretty easily, my roommate waiting outside for me. We walked in, paid our $40 for the two hour open bar and started searching for my friends. Well, we went to the bar first as we had already lost 13 minutes of open bar time. I saw a girlfriend of mine and the others strolled in a few minutes later.

One of the few things I don’t like about my baby, New York City is that it’s so big and so fast moving that it seems nearly impossible to ever see your good friends. You really have to make the effort, set plans, and carry them out in order to see the people you really want to see. And I really wanted to see these people. The best part was that my group of friends was ‘plus one’ tonight. Another girlfriend of mine, who I hadn’t seen in a very long time was visiting and made the trip out.

There’s nothing like seeing those people you never really knew that well, but always had great conversation with…she was one of those. She was in the city on work and looked great…She was in from LA and had only been to the city once before so it was great to sit around and talk about how different the two superpowers of the country are…God knows you could have the discussion all night long and we just about did! By the time our “discussion” was over I think the final score was LAX 6 – JFK 3,459. A close match for sure!

Thanks for listening

2 Comments:

At 10:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn it. As soon as I read "MSG" all I can think about is Reggie Miller. Look, I read the rest of the post but I couldn't get the 8 point in under 9 seconds or 25 points in the 4th quarter performance out of my head. So honestly, you could have been persoanlly attacking me the whole time and I wouldn't have known.

 
At 10:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn it. As soon as I read "MSG" all I can think about is Reggie Miller. Look, I read the rest of the post but I couldn't get the 8 point in under 9 seconds or 25 points in the 4th quarter performance out of my head. So honestly, you could have been persoanlly attacking me the whole time and I wouldn't have known.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home