Wednesday, March 29, 2006

He Shoots, He Scores!!!

Any party that starts at 4:30pm on a Tuesday afternoon is my kind of party. I, as I suspected wasn’t able to get there right at 4:30, but who wants to be the first person to show up? Not this guy… The space was amazing, it was held in the New AOL Time Warner Building, with brilliant views of Central Park and Columbus Circle.

The party was being thrown by a very large TV Network that knows how to entertain. They did an amazing presentation about up coming shows and brilliant new ideas that are going to change the media landscape as we know it. A number of people spoke to the crowd of a few hundred and in something I don’t think I’ve ever seen at any time of gathering, professional or not, everyone of the speakers was really, really well spoken. Each was different from the previous person to hold the podium before them, but all seemed successful in their endeavors.

After having a couple of cocktails and realizing that I didn’t see anyone else from my agency, and that I wanted to leave before the crowds started making a move for the doors. After all, who wants to be the last guy at a party? Not this guy…But before I was to call it an evening I saw my one network contact. She’s probably in her mid 40’s, very well put together, and just a pistol! She’s a fast-talker, but managers to sound so sincere while doing it. (No a small task for anyone who makes their living selling) “Hi there, I’m so glad you could make it!” She goes in for a kiss on the cheek, something I’m still not quite used to…That type of male to female professional greeting. I ok with it though, as long as it’s with a person I like that is…

“What’d you think?” She asked so bright eyed, like a little kid riding around the drive way for the first time without training wheels, as to say “how’d I do?” “Great, the whole presentation was so well done.” I meant it too. She went on to say “people are going to think I’ve had botox, because I’m not going to be able to get this damn smile off my face all night.” She was so proud of her work and was clearly passionate about it too. (Again, not something easily done for someone who makes their living selling)

“You’ve got to come meet someone. You’ve got to tell him, what you just told me!” She was so excited again. As she’s saying this, she grabs my hand, leads me across the room to meet one of the biggest of the big-wigs, and the presentation’s emcee. This guy was huge, at least 6’6…I didn’t know whether to shake his hand or box him out and try to go for the rebound. I gave him a firm grip, introduced myself, first and last name, a sign of strong personal presence (or so I’ve read). We continued to talk for a few minutes, when he says so my one of know two contacts, “oh, is this who you forwarded me the email from the other day?” “Yes, this is the guy.” Again, she excited. “Great, thanks so much for doing that” he said to me.

I was in the zone…I was speaking without having to put much thought into it. I may not be able to do fractions or large numbers in my head, but when it comes down to talking shop, mixed with a little bullshit, I get into my own little world. I guess it’s the equivalent to an athlete going into “the zone” and since I was never able to quite get there…I get this version. One I’m completely ok with…after all, I was on my court now.

Thanks for listening

4 Comments:

At 5:02 PM , Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

Sounds like a three pointer, tiger.

 
At 5:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALWAYS box out.

 
At 10:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright Paige, given my limited writing abilities I'm going to have to ask you to leave the sports references to me. I'm afraid that if you take those I'll really have no utility. Which means that instead of thinking about what to write for 10 or 15 minutes, I'll have to pay attention in class - and seriously, do we really want that? I think not.

In hoping this is interpreted as a joke,

Rust

 
At 11:23 PM , Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

Bring it on, Rust. The only place this woman eagerly succumbs to men's requests is in the bedroom (wink).

Actually, in light of your basis for the request and the delightful paragraph used to evidence your writing skills, I hereby relinquish all sporty remarks.

PS: All in good fun. I know as much about sports as you do about nail polish (God willing). In fact, I've officially run out of sporty terms.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home