Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Irony

Talk about irony happening every day in front of our eyes. As I walked home this evening from my Improv class (I’ll get into that later) I saw quite a seen. I was at the corner of 23rd and 6th avenue when I heard a sharp, deep, bang. I looked to my left and noticed a guy lying on the ground in front of a bus, a white city handicap bus no less. The irony came into play when I noticed the guy who had been hit, was now standing up, thankfully, had a cane in his hand. Did a guy with a cane really get hit by a handicap bus? Got to love this city…

As for the Improv class, I have to say it’s the first of its kind—for me that is… I, again with the irony ended up in the place on accident. About 3 months ago I was supposed to meet a group of friends at Gotham Comedy club on 23rd street for a night of laughs and at least two drinks. (most of the comedy clubs have a two drink minimum) I got there about 15 minutes early, asked if they had a reservation under my friends name, it was his birthday. They said no, but I just figured it was minute detail. As time passed no one else showed up. So after about 5 different phone calls saying “I’m here right now,” “no you’re not, I’m here right now” I realized that I was at Gotham City Improv on 23rd street not to be confused with Gotham Comedy Club on 22nd street. I’m the asshole right, how could have I confused the two?

So as I really started to feel trapped with my current job, and by trapped I mean like airport security on a guy wearing a turban. So a few weeks ago I tried a sample class and really enjoyed it. The class is about the most eclectic mix of people you could imagine. It’s like United Color of Benetton ad, but funny. I have since the first class found out that for the most part, the class is full of actors/make-up artists/waiters/hostesses. I really give those people credit. I’m not saying I want to hang up my shirt and tie for the stage quite yet, but at least they came to some point in their lives and said, “this is want I want to be, this is what I’m going to try and become.” So to you…struggling artists, out of work models, between-job actors, I salute you… You just the same as doctor or lawyer know what you want to be when you grow up. Albeit, you’re choice is less expensive, I can’t say it’s easier.

Thanks for listening

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home